It was intended that the `f.load_glyphs` line was fast and did most of
the work. However, it actually didn't, because it's necessary to pass
in a code point by number, not by string.
Additionally, a little light layer violation is needed to make the check
for missing characters fast. This used to be less important, as no
fonts had missing characters. However, it would take an appreciable
length of time on the Korean translation when failing to find hundreds
of different code points.
Testing performed: built
build-circuitplayground_express_displayio/autogen_display_resources.c with ko
translation before and after change. verified the file content was identical.
Time went from about 7s on my machine to way under 1 second.
This fixes the bug that bitmap changes do not cause screen updates
and optimizes the refresh when the bitmap is simply shown on the
screen. If the bitmap is used in tiles, then changing it will
cause all TileGrids using it to do a full refresh.
Instead of iterating over all the glyphs and calculating the maximum
width and height, use the FONTBOUNDINGBOX to determine the size of a
tile for terminalio.
This works better with fonts such as generated by FontForge, that don't
include the empty space in the glyph bitmap itself. It also lets the
font author specify vertical spacing they want.
I only tested this with the default font and with one I generated with
Different operations to the display tree have different costs. Be
aware of these costs when optimizing your code.
* Changing tiles indices in a TileGrid will update an area
covering them all.
* Changing a palette will refresh every object that references it.
* Moving a TileGrid will update both where it was and where it moved to.
* Adding something to a Group will refresh each individual area it
* Removing things from a Group will refresh one area that covers all
previous locations. (Not separate areas like add.)
* Setting a new top level Group will refresh the entire display.
Only TileGrid moves are optimized for overlap. All other overlaps
cause sending of duplicate pixels.
This also adds flip_x, flip_y and transpose_xy to TileGrid. They
change the direction of the pixels but not the location.
Fixes#1169. Fixes#1705. Fixes#1923.
This changes the displayio pixel computation from per-pixel to
per-area. This is precursor work to updating portions of the screen
(#1169). It should provide mild speedups because bounds checks are
done once per area rather than once per pixel. Filling by area also
allows TileGrid to maintain a row-associative fill pattern even when
the display's refresh is orthogonal to it.
This changes a number of things in displayio:
* Introduces BuiltinFont and Glyph so the built in font can be used by libraries. For boards with
a font it is available as board.TERMINAL_FONT. Fixes#1172
* Remove _load_row from Bitmap in favor of bitmap access. Index can be x/y tuple or overall index. Fixes#1191
* Add width and height properties to Bitmap.
* Add insert and  access to Group. Fixes#1518
* Add index param to pop on Group.
* Terminal no longer takes unicode character info. It takes a BuiltinFont instead.
* Fix Terminal's handling of [###D vt100 commands used when up arrowing into repl history.
* Add x and y positions to Group plus scale as well.
* Add bitmap accessor for BuiltinFont