This is an open source derivative of [MicroPython](http://www.micropython.org)
for use on educational development boards designed and sold by Adafruit
for use on educational development boards designed and sold by [Adafruit](https://www.adafruit.com)
including the [Arduino Zero](https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardZero), [Adafruit Feather M0 Basic](https://www.adafruit.com/products/2772), [Adafruit Feather HUZZAH](https://www.adafruit.com/products/2821) and
@ -15,7 +15,7 @@ This project is in beta. Most APIs should be stable going forward.
Guides and videos are available through the [Adafruit Learning System](https://learn.adafruit.com/) under the [CircuitPython category](https://learn.adafruit.com/category/circuitpython). An API reference is also available on [Read the Docs](http://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/?).
Guides and videos are available through the [Adafruit Learning System](https://learn.adafruit.com/) under the [CircuitPython category](https://learn.adafruit.com/category/circuitpython) and [MicroPython category](https://learn.adafruit.com/category/micropython). An API reference is also available on [Read the Docs](http://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/?).
@ -27,6 +27,24 @@ Contributors who follow the
are welcome to submit pull requests and they will be promptly reviewed by
## Differences from [MicroPython](https://github.com/micropython/micropython)
* Port for Atmel SAMD21 (Commonly known as M0 in product names.)
* No `machine` API on Atmel SAMD21 port.
* Only supports Atmel SAMD21 and ESP8266 ports.
* Unified hardware API: [`nativeio`](https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/shared-bindings/nativeio/__init__.html), [`microcontroller`](https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/shared-bindings/microcontroller/__init__.html), [`board`](https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/shared-bindings/board/__init__.html), [`bitbangio`](https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/shared-bindings/bitbangio/__init__.html) (Only available on atmel-samd21 and ESP8266 currently.)
* Tracks MicroPython's releases (not master).
* No module aliasing. (`uos` and `utime` are not available as `os` and `time` respectively.)
* Modules with a CPython counterpart, such as `time`, are strict [subsets](https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/shared-bindings/time/__init__.html) of their [CPython version](https://docs.python.org/3.4/library/time.html?highlight=time#module-time). Therefore, code from CircuitPython is runnable on CPython but not necessarily the reverse.
* tick count is available as [`time.monotonic()`](https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/shared-bindings/time/__init__.html#time.monotonic)
* `os` only available as `uos`
* atmel-samd21 features
* RGB status LED
* Auto-reset after file write over mass storage. (Disable with `samd.disable_autoreset()`)
* Wait state after boot and main run, before REPL.
* Main is one of these: code.txt, code.py, main.py, main.txt
* Boot is one of these: settings.txt, settings.py, boot.py, boot.txt